we declare Your Perfection above and beyond all: we have no knowledge whatsoever except what You have taught us. No doubt it is You, and You alone that is all Knowledgeable and all Wise. (al-Baqarah, 32)

Saturday, January 15, 2011

iPhone Gaming


As I've recently started to use my iPhone more in terms of playing games, I figure I should write my impressions on some of games that are keeping me quite entertained to the surprisingly viable gaming platform. As a plus, most of these games are relatively cheap, ranging from $2 - $10 a pop.

First off, Puzzle Agent. I have Ryan Davis of GiantBomb to thank for this purchase. Puzzle Agent is quite of a mix bag. It has great presentation, a unique sense of humor and some really mind bending puzzles. Unfortunately, not all the puzzles are great. However, the story was intriguing enough to keep going to the end of the 4-5 hour game. Despite the aforementioned intriguing story though, the payoff was rather disappointing. But for $6, it is not a bad deal since it's a nice change of pace from the typical games out there and it's the kind of game that fits perfectly on the iPhone.

Solve crime by solving puzzle

The next game is Puzzle Quest 2. I really enjoyed Puzzle Quest back when it came out on XBLA 4 years back and I still played it on the PSP well until last year. It was certainly more suited as a portable game. I think Puzzle Quest 2 itself is a great game but the iPhone version suffers from the fact that the game was clearly not optimized for the iPhone. This is apparent in the menus where every button is so close to one another that going through the menu is an exercise in patience as I find myself clicking on something other than the one I wanted way more often than I would have like. I've ran into a lot of loading issues where I have to relaunch the game to load an area. The game has a lot of issues for sure, but even those aren't enough to deter me from playing the game. If you're interested in this game though, I recommend you getting the PC or probably iPad version instead.

Slim fingers recommended for best experience with this product

The last game in the list is Dungeon Hunter 2. This is an isometric loot based RPG similar to Diablo. In fact, one might even say it is a blatant copy of Diablo. That's not necessarily a bad thing since you can't play Diablo on an iPhone. The best thing about Dungeon Hunter 2 is that it is supports up to 4 players via wi-fi or even locally using bluetooth. The controls however leaves a bit to be desired, but it's more from the limitation of the iPhone's lack of a physical thumbstick. It's not going to replace Diablo or Torchlight, but if you need to sate your loot lust on the go, then this is your only viable choice.

Totally Diabolical


0 free comments:

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails