we declare Your Perfection above and beyond all: we have no knowledge whatsoever except what You have taught us. No doubt it is You, and You alone that is all Knowledgeable and all Wise. (al-Baqarah, 32)

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The NZ journals #1 - Wellington City

I can hardly believe I've almost finished my 2 year study here in NZ. Academic wise, all thats left for me to do is the final school experience tomorrow, a final exam next thursday and a debriefing shortly after. The days that I'm going to spend here are numbered. In but just 5 weeks, the time will come for me to leave NZ for good. This series of blog entries will be about my stay here for the last 2 years (almost), what I liked about NZ, what I don't like about NZ, and everything in between. That's going to cover a lot of grounds, thus the episodic contents. bear with me people

Wellington city, overlooking the ocean

This first entry will be about Wellington City. Stayed here for a pretty long time I did that I can't help but to like it.

our house is somewhere near that tower in the middle

I'm not actually the kind of guy who likes sight-seeing, so even though I've been here for a long time, there still a large portion of this city that I haven't seen. If I were to write about the whole city, this entry would be endless so here's just some things that I think is interesting about Wellington. I'll let my lovely lady friend do the honour of presenting them (^_^)
soya presents...Cuba St.

Cuba is the shopping district in Wellington CBD. For a mall, its not really awesome to be honest, but I like the lively atmosphere always present there. From time to time you get random people performing even more random acts, from street musicians to the weekly hare krishna march, theres a lot to see in Cuba St. Cuba St. also happens to be the street where my fav shop in Weli is located. Pick a guess, (hint: its somewhere in the picture)

soya presents...te papa national museum
The te papa (lit : our place) national museum is one of the very 1st places that I visited in Weli because we were invited to watch the play 'taming of the shrew' on our second day (or was I third..) of our arrival. Ever since, I've been here for 2 or 3 more times. Like any good museum, the exhibitions changes from time to time and at one time, the museum hosted a Lord of the Rings exhibition which was pretty cool. If you aren't already a fan of museums, this place won't win you over but its worth a look at least once.

back to the future, anyone?

One of the more unique thing about Welli lies at the transportation system. Looking at the picture above, you can see all those cables hanging above road used to power buses. I'm pretty sure they have a similar thing elsewhere but current;y, Weli is the only place I know that use the cable buses. Theres one quirk about the cable-powered buses though - should there be another bus in front of the bus you are riding, there just no way of getting through. On a side note, the cables always remind me of back to the future. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just forget about it.

That's all for today. More entries coming up before I leave this country.

p/s: too busy with school to do the next ch. of the Adventures of the Torrens this week, but maybe at the end of the week...just maybe.

2 free comments:

soyasofya said...

phewwittt~ happy2!!

Yuen said...

u got urself a very fine welly spokesperson:)

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails